Discussion

This page offers the chance to raise a topic or a question to see if others have anything to add.

Simply use the Leave a Reply option below to add your comment or question.

94 Responses to Discussion

1. Linton says:

Can anyone out there in walnutland give me some ideas on the best way to manage clover growth in the understory
    Does mowing back hard reduce the potential nitrogen gain,or should it be left to get ankle high.-Does clover that has been cut back come back more strongly than it would have otherwise.Does the mowing of top growth encourage more root growth,hence more nitrogen fixing,or does it mean less flowering /seeding,and relatively less clover the following year.To what extent does the fixed nitrogen become available to the walnut trees,hence reducing the need for urea,or is healthy clover just a sign of a low nitrogen soil.
    Any musings welcome. Linton

2. Peter Donald says:

Hi all,

I was looking at some land in Waihi, BOP. I was going to grow chestnuts but have been warned away from this crop.

How do walnuts do in Waihi. The property i am looking at has shelter belt, north facing, was a kiwi fruit block with all the vines pulled out.

Your thoughts would be appreciated as I do not know what I am doing and getting into.

Thanks,

Peter

3. mike says:

Hi there, I got a land of 51 Ha in Coramandel I want to plant black walnut trees. the land is gental slop , now full of manuka bush.
    is that suit walnut? where can I got the seedling?

• Graeme says:

Hi Mike
      Interesting enquiry. As an industry group we are not really expert in black walnuts, although some of our members may be and may like to comment. The industry is really based around supporting growers of juglans regia – or the Persian Walnut, for nut crop. Most of these orchards are not planted with seedlings, but with grafted trees so we can control the quality of nuts. From the little I know about black walnuts they are rather prone to wind damage, so thinking about the wind on your site will be important.
      Best wishes with your exploration.

Graeme

4. Ralph Brown says:

I’ve had an enquiry from Martin Otero, a walnut grower in Chile. He would like to do an internship in New Zealand and ‘share knowedge and experience’ for three months.

He is applying for a grant from the Chilean government which would cover 70 per cent of his costs. He would need the New Zealand grower to cover the balance.

At this stage it seems likely that he would come to us in November.

Let me know if you are interested in exploring the possibility of having him do his internship at your orchard or maybe sharing him amongst growers in your area.

Ralph Brown
    Chair
    NZWIG
    (03) 365 3164 bus (03) 347 9595 pte

5. Nicola Oldfield says:

We have recently bought a property just north of Wellington with 5 walnuts trees (House built 1915 and trees look this age too).

Just one of the trees has been dropping loads of green walnuts since mid Jan. Can these be dried out and eaten, or do I have to wait until the black ones fall?

Any idea why this one tree could be shedding early?

I would be interested in having someone check the wellbeing of our trees, to assess if they need any pruning, although I hear a good gust of wind will usually get rid of any unnecessary wood.

• Ken Keall says:

I spoke to a guy in Palmerston North who has a plantation of walnuts at Ashhurst, just out of almy, and he says last year he had a bumper crop, this year he has none, and simply puts it down to a poor season. So maybe you don’t have to be too concerned.

6. Ken Keall says:

Where can I purchase green, soft, walnuts. I live in Palmerston North

• Tracey says:

*Walnuts for SALE in green husks!*

A few people are looking for walnuts still in their green husks.

I have a large walnut tree covered in walnuts (they are falling) and I’m looking to sell them still whole.

Please email me if interested in purchasing my walnuts!

I am located in Auckland, but can post if you are happy to pay.

trace.a.taylor@gmail.com

Tracey

7. Heather North says:

Hi Mike

Perhaps without seeing the tree, I should not comment, but unfortunately your ‘conspiracy theory’ does sound rather plausible. I have seen a situation where a grower mistakenly left traces of moss killer he had used in his backpack sprayer, and then used the backpack to spray his trees with copper (for walnut blight control). The trees were extremely late to leaf out in spring and then had very few leaves (the grass underneath also copped some run-off and turned up its toes). I think in the end the trees did recover though I have not seen them recently. However, if you do think there is a chance it could be an exotic disease, it could be worth a call to MAF’s Exotic Pest and Disease Hotline 0800-809-966, as they would be best placed to suggest how to proceed.

Cheers, Heather

8. Mike Dewe says:

Hello Heather

We live in Christchurch and have done at the same address for nearly 32 years. The tree was well established when we arrived – hence my guess at being 50 years old. Except for the last 2-3 years we have always had a bountiful supply of walnuts. Then over the last 3 years it started to progressively have fewer leaves with each spring and the crop correspondingly dropped and we had virtually no walnuts last year and certainly none this year. A few of the branches seem to be struggling to produce a few leaves this year but otherwise the tree looks bare with perhaps 90% of the branches appearing to be dead. There is no obvious yellowing of the leaves that are there. There is a yellowish moss/lichen type growth on the bark – covers about 50% or so of the existing bark surface – but this is not new and has been there as long as I can remember. Nothing else has changed in the environment except for the renovation of an old (110 years) neighbour house through a succession of occupants over the last 5 years. Successive owners chopped down virtually all the old well established trees on that property – the leaf fall into the new swimming pool is probably the reason for this! It just so happens that our walnut does/did shadow their garden near the pool – conspiracy theories abound over possible previous (not the present!) owners actions???
    The only other comment I can add is that our other neighbours who also border the ones just talked about have mysteriously had their well established Holly Oak (an evergreen!) lose its leaves – it is not quite as sick as our walnut. It also throws a shadow over the said other neighbour??

9. Graeme says:

Query posted on behalf of Mike Dewe:

I am looking for someone who is knowledgeable on walnut tree diseases to advise us on a 50 year old walnut tree in our Holly Road garden that has been progressively dying over the last 3 years. This year there are very few leaves on the tree and I suspect that it will have to be removed but would like advice before removing what was a very healthy tree.

On the web I picked up the problem that is now rampant in black walnut trees in the USA – a disease related to the Geosmithia genus (the so called Thousand Canker Disease) which is apparently killing hundreds of walnut trees in California and several other states within USA. It has been likened to Dutch Elm Disease and its devastating effects. It is apparently transmitted by a small beetle and has only become known about in New Mexico in 2001 – so it is relatively new. The symptoms on our tree are very similar so we were wondering whether it has crossed the Pacific and hit New Zealand.

I would be very grateful for any help. If it is in any way related to the USA problem then I think NZ is on the brink of inheriting a similar problem.

Thanks

Mike Dewe
    Assoc. Prof., LSMIEEE

• Graeme says:

Mike
      Thanks for this enquiry. We are not aware of Geosmithia in NZ so it would be very concerning if you have discovered it. As an industry research group we would like to know more and have it checked out.

Graeme

• Heather North says:

Hello Mike

It’s hard to suggest a diagnosis without seeing the tree and the environment it’s growing in. Are the symptoms a gradual yellowing and loss of leaves? Are there any other symptoms (e.g. have you seen any cankers on the trunk?). Normally if we saw a tree in an orchard with gradual yellowing and loss of leaves (assuming the tree is not in drought stress) we would be suspecting phytophthora root rot, which is brought about by the roots being too wet, and is not uncommon in NZ. Is there a chance there could be standing water under the tree within a few metres of the surface? Where in the country are you based? I certainly hope the disease is something we already have here, but if not, it would be important to quickly get a sample sent away to a MAF diagnostic lab.

Regards, Heather

10. Nicola says:

Hi, We have recently purchased a property in Rotorua and have discovered that there are about 20 white walnut trees which are just starting to fruit. Does anyone know of a market for these walnuts. The outer flesh is quite thick and yellow and dosn’t fall off the walnuts, unlike the other varieties that are also on the property.
    Thanks