Discussion

This page offers the chance to raise a topic or a question to see if others have anything to add.

Simply use the Leave a Reply option below to add your comment or question.

94 Responses to Discussion

1. Amber says:

I AM DESPERATELY SEEKING TO PURCHASE BLACK WALNUTS JUST FALLEN OR ABOUT TO FALL! THIS IS A POWERFULL HEALING AGENT ERGENTLY NEEDED, FROM ANY WHERE IN NZ PLEASE CONTACT ON 09 424 3669 OR EMAIL amber.mcgregor@yahoo.co.nz THANKYOU

• Elvin Tibbs says:

Hi Amber, I’ve got a tree full and want to pass them along. Problem is that i am in North Canterbury.
      Any thoughts or anybody local interested
      txt Elvin at 021 031 3873

• Sarah says:

Hi Elvin I am near Swannanoa. Do you have any black walnut hulls or do you know where I could get any locally. I need them to feed to my goats as a wormer. Thanks Sarah

• Peter Stokes says:

Hi Amber: We have four trees, all heavily laden and we are situated near Putaruru south of Cambridge. If you’d like them you’re more than welcome. Drop us a line.

2. Christine Ross says:

Please could anyone help. Last walnut crop most of the walnut shells had holes. What would be the cause? Would it be an insect? or perhaps the lack of nutrient / s? And what would be the solution?

3. Richard says:

Hi
    I have a 60-70 year old Walnut tree on my Wairarapa property which recently lost a major limb (almost half the tree). The remainder of the tree is still standing but I think may have some rot.
    I’ve had a arborist take a look and he suggests felling the remainder. I’m very reluctant to do that as I really love the tree however it is close to the house. Is there anything the arborist is ‘nt telling me in regard saving the tree ? Should I get a second opinion ?
    It’s not a particularly straight tree but if it does need to come down is there a market for the wood?
    Rich

4. janet Locke says:

Hi I would very much like to buy a small quantity of green walnuts off someone when the time is ripe. If anyone would like to sell a couple of bags please contact me on jloc@woosh.co.nz (I am in the auckland area) Many thanks, Janet

5. matangi says:

Hi – wonder if anyone has had experience with a walnut tree releasing water from its cut roots? We’ve just put in a driveway past a 20-year-old tree, it’s reasonably healthy, sometimes has blight, other times not, we just leave her to it. Flat, sandy soil, in Waikato, within 500m of natural waterways. Have ruled out all other sources for an amount of water which seems to be rising from the driveway, in the exact spot that a few roots were cut to make room. Someone raised a theory it could be the tree. “That’s Impossible”?

6. Henning Koppenhofer says:

Where can I buy Franket Walnut Trees?

7. Johnna Alborn says:

I am wondering if you can help me, or refer me to someone who can.

I have a large black walnut tree (Juglans nigra) overhanging our newly built house. Our water supply for the house is from the water catchment from the roof, collected into a water tank.

As you may know, Black Walnut Trees product a natural toxin called Juglone.
    I have concerns about the safety of our drinking water, after reading about the toxic effects of juglone on dogs, horses and plants.

The water tank is not currently connected to the house, as we are still in the building stages, however I am hesitant to get it connected until I can determine if juglone which is found in the roots, leaves, hulls and fruits of the tree can seep into the water and contaminate it.

It would be a costly process, once the water supply is connected, to discover if the water was indeed tainted, and therefore could not be consumed.

We may need to have the tree removed (it is a protected tree), so I want advice as to if this will be necessary, and information to provide to our local council.

Any help you can provide me with would be appreciated.
    Kind Regards
    Johnna Alborn

• Ken Keall says:

Hi Johnna,
      I am no expert but would suggest that any roof water should be filtered anyway, because of bird sh***t , a real health hazard.
      I suggest you talk to a good filter supplier or reputable plumber.
      regards,
      Kean Keall

• Ginny says:

Hi Joanna ,
      Black Walnut wood is very valuable up to $80,000 per mature tree, Make sure you have it milled by and expert.
      Perhaps you could persuade the council to let in come down in exchange for some money going towards a community project ;.)

8. Sherri May says:

Hi. I have a very large old tree that is perhaps 60 years old on the property that we purchased last year in Taupo. The tree was unloved and growing amongst a lot of debris and native undergrowth on a section that we have since built on. It produced a good crop of walnuts last year (although small). This year the section has undergone development, clearing and irrigation. The tree has grown considerably and the walnuts were huge (almost apple size!) when green. I was very excited about my pending crop. As the fruit has ripened it has developed a black mottle and some have large areas of black almost rotten looking patches. The fruit inside is very damp and black/mouldy. The rest of the tree (foliage wise) looks very healthy. I am really disappointed and after searching the internet I am unsure what the problem is. Does this sound like blight and how can I start to tackle this problem with such a huge tree? We have had a very long, warm humid summer and wet spring this year in Taupo and I wonder if this is just a seasonal problem or if it is more serious? I also have mulched around the base of the tree with compost and it has been irrigated frequently (Am I killing it with kindness – affecting the PH levels??) Please any more information you can provide me with about possible causes or indicators to look for which will tell me what I am dealing with would be greatly appreciated!!
    Many Thanks
    Sherri

• Heather North says:

Hi Sherri

This does sound like walnut blight, and you are correct that blight is much worse in humid conditions. There is quite a bit of info on walnut blight on the NZWIG website (e.g., see the Research section, including http://www.walnuts.org.nz/reports/sprayguide.html )

Normally in commercial orchards we use copper sprays in spring/early summer (particularly at budburst time) to control blight. However I can understand it would be very difficult to achieve spray coverage on a single large tree like yours.

There are not a lot of other options for controlling blight apart from copper sraying, so you may just need to accept that your crop will be more or less affected depending on the dampness of the particular season.

Anything you can do to assist the drying of the tree after dew and rainfall could help (e.g. by allowing breeze through the tree / not having it excessivey overgrown by shelterbelts), since the blight bacteria spreads and infects via water droplets on the leaf and nut surfaces. Also it could well be worth removing the mulch and irrigating less, as this could help keep the overall environment round and inside the tree drier – I don’t know how wet you have been keeping the soil but in general it’s better to err toward the slightly dry side rather than the wet side with walnuts (they don’t like wet feet) – though without going to the extreme of allowing the tree to turn yellow and lose its leaves with drought! I suspect that a large old tree is probably able to fend for itself in your climate without irrigation, though I don’t know your summer rainfall figures so may be wrong.

Cheers, Heather

9. tony sigmund says:

Its Feb 2011 and there are a lot of walnuts about on my property, which is situated near CHCH. Unfortunately at least 25% of my crop has fallen off or ready to fall off. This is due to the nut going soft and mushy. The outer husk starts turning brown , sometimes all of it , sometimes just half of it. When the shell is opened the walnut is a mushroom colour and in various states of mushiness.
    Does anyone know the cause of this, what it is and how to prevent it for next year ?

• Graeme says:

Hi Tony
      That sure sounds like our old enemy walnut blight to me. I will be interested to see if others come up with an alternative diagnosis. Good old xanthemonas juglans I reckon.
      Graeme

• Heather North says:

Hello Tony

I’ve just had a chat to Clive Marsh about this, as we have seen nuts with these symptoms in Tasmania, and also occasionally in NZ. The symptoms you have described sound like Brown Apical Necrosis (BAN) which is a fungal disease. We’ve had quite a bit of warm, damp weather this year – perfect conditions for fungal development.

Clive pointed out the following scientific paper which discusses BAN:

Apparently BAN often seems to occur on the same nuts that are also infected by walnut blight. Did you observe very much blight on the nuts in mid-January?

In any case, if you are applying a series of copper sprays for walnut blight (usually from budburst until around Christmas), then I would expect this to also provide some control for a fungal disease such as BAN. What was your spray programme this season?

Cheers, Heather

• tony says:

Thanks for your reply Heather.
        Sure looks & sounds like BAN.
        I did have a bit of blight, especially on the 157. Rex showed minimal blight, but have taken a hammering with this disease.
        A couple of trees (the ones that are meant to be Rex ,have lost the complete crop).
        Funnily enough Myric are not too bad with blight or BAN.
        I only sprayed 2 or three times at bud burst and 3-4 weeks later, but not a lot on Rex as they had proved to be more blight resistant than the others.
        I have been spay irrigating 3 times a week for the last two months – this probably didn’t help.
        Tony

10. Maureen Mayall says:

I am wanting a supply of green walnut husks. Nuts are Ok as well. maureen