Discussion

This page offers the chance to raise a topic or a question to see if others have anything to add.

Simply use the Leave a Reply option below to add your comment or question.

94 Responses to Discussion

1. Georg Rautenbach says:

I have 4 big walnut threes for sale they are about 15 to 20 meters high and about 60 years old.

2. Blair Chapman says:

Hi Everyone!
    Blair from Willowbank Wildlife Reserve in Christchurch again,
    Does anyone have contact details for walnut suppliers that may potentially be willing to donate walnuts in shell to the park? Its that time of year again and we are trying to replenish our stock however have a very limited budget.
    If you think you can help my email is blair@willowbank.co.nz
    Thanks in advance,
    Blair Chapman
    Head of Exotic Species
    Willowbank Wildlife Reserve

3. aaron says:

i am looking forward to buy juglands hopeiensis, anyone got those? please email me at LC42288@hotmail.com, thanks

4. Blair Chapman says:

Hi Everyone,

My name is Blair Chapman from Willowbank Wildlife Reserve in Christchurch, New Zealand.

Just thought I would ask but would anyone be willing or know of a company who may be willing to donate walnuts to Willowbank (these do not need to be top quality, Seconds that can not be sold are more than perfect)
    We require a large variety of nuts for our large parrots and it would be more than ideal if I could source some for free or at a discounted rate. If your company is willing to donate to us we are more then happy for you to put it in your news letter or what have you that you donate your walnuts to us.

Email :blair@willowbank.co.nz

Blair Chapman,
    Exotics Species Keeper,
    Willowbank Wildlife Reserve.

5. Tony says:

Hi Jim,
    If the nuts are small and green, then I suspect they have not been pollinated (no wind in Wellington?). If they have black spots on them, then they are falling off due to walnut blight. Either way, there isn’t a lot you can do.

• Valerie Henare says:

Hi we have just bought a property in Otane Hawkes Bay, one paddock has seven walnut trees. The nuts are falling mostly rotton, e.g the hull has black spots, when you open walnut the nut is either dehydrated or black. I noticed a small black worm on one of the walnut shells, you can also see small indented holes actually on the brown shell. Can we save them?? Out of a handful of nuts you might open one good one!
      Sorry to tag onto your post but I’m not sure how to create my own.
      thanks
      Val

6. Jim Cook says:

Hi
    I live in Upper Hutt, Wellington and have a 35 year old walnut tree. I am a new home owner and do not know much about walnut tree’s. I have noticed that my walnut tree is dropping walnuts in the month of December, I think they are falling prematurely and I don’t think they are reaching their full size. They are certainly way too small. Can anyone help me with this ‘problem?’
    Regards Jim

7. Vernell says:

Wow, this piece of writing is nice, my sister is analyzing such
    things, therefore I am going to inform her.

8. Jessica Tait says:

Hello, we are interested in growing walnuts in the Bay of Plenty, near Tauranga, does anyone grow walnuts on any scale, in this area and if so can you comment on your successes and pitfalls you have experienced?

Many thanks
    Jessica

9. Andrew C says:

Hi. I bought a new house earlier this year with a very large walnut tree. The tree was covered in ivy up it’s trunk and the walnuts that fell off were tiny. I cut all the ivy down over winter, but now it is mid summer there is only a sparse number of leaves. The leaves do look healthy, but it is not lush like most trees and we can easily see all branches and wood.

Is our tree on its last legs?
    Thanks for any advice
    Andrew

10. janet henderson says:

Hi,
    I live in Kerikeri and are thinking of planting a walnut tree. Can anyone advise me what variety is most suitable for the soil and weather conditions here.
    Regards Janet